Skip to main content

Harvey Littleton (1922 - 2013)



NO CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ARTWORKS

Born in Corning, New York, Harvey Littleton has had a long career as an educator and glass blower and has served on the Board of Trustees of the Pilchuck School in Washington. In 2004, he was living in Spruce Pine, North Carolina.

From 1949 to 1951, he was instructor of ceramic art in Ohio at the Toledo Museum Art School of Design, and from 1951-1977, he was professor of art in Madison at the University of Wisconsin, serving as Chair of the Department from 1964 to 1967 and 1969 to 1971.

He earned a Bachelor's Degree in Design from the University of Michigan; studied in England at the Brighton School of Design, and then earned a Master of Fine Arts Degree at the Cranbrook Academy of Art.

Museum recognition for Littleton’s own work in glass began early, with solo exhibitions at the Art Institute of Chicago (1963) and the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in New York (1964). His work has been collected by American Craft Museum, New York City; Cooper Hewitt National Museum of Design, Smithsonian Institution, New York; Corning Museum of Glass, New York; Detroit Institute of Arts; Los Angeles County Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Modern Art, New York; Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC and The White House, Washington DC among many others. 
Source:  Who's Who in American Art, 2003-2004 and The Littleton Collection